Blue Ox base plate- Ford Escape/Mercury Mariner
- Created: Saturday, 21 May 2011 11:49
- Last Updated: Thursday, 04 July 2013 20:01
- Written by Dave Hribar
Two members report Blue Ox Base plates on Ford Escapes Cracking and failing.The base plate with issues is part number BX2176.
It is common to the following vehicles:
- Ford Escapes with Manual transmission 2005-2008
- Ford Escape Hybrids 2005-2008
- Mercury Mariner Hybrid 2008
*BX2176 has been replaced by BX2609
These failures have been reported by 419 members with Ford Escape Hybrids. One had his base plate fail and pull away from the vehicle causing damage to the car and his motorhome. The other found cracks that would also result in total failure and pull way. The crack is in the plate that mounts to the vehicle just behind the cross tube. It's felt that it is not weld related since it is behind the tube.
Blue Ox has been contacted and offered the following:
- If you have a Blue Ox base plate on an affected vehicle please check the part number on your paperwork or on the part. If you have part number BX2176, please call Blue Ox customer service 800-566-9869. Tell them the part that you have and they will send you a replacement Base plate (Part Number: BX2609) free of charge.
- There have been no reported issues with the new part number
- There were about 100 of the earlier part number made. Most have been replaced or never sold. (this does not mean that you shouldn't check yours!!).
419 Safety Information Coordinator